Single serve nourishing chicken bowl
Sometimes all we feel like is a nourishing bowl of goodness full of colourful veg and delicious flavours. This chicken bowl is simple to put together and will give you a big hit of veggies, making it the perfect for dinner after a day when you’ve been on the run and missed out on important nutrients. The mix of spicy, citrus and creamy cheese and yoghurt is a moreish combo and one of the best things about this bowl is it’s the perfect “left over dinner”. Just throw in the extra ingredients you have in your fridge to avoid wastage. We like alternatives like borlotti or cannellini beans, peas, chopped and sauteed spinach, cucumber or quinoa instead of rice. The options are endless!
How to do it:
- Heat two frying pans to medium heat and add half a teaspoon of coconut oil to each.
- Place the chicken in the first pan and keep it moving around until cooked through and golden brown.
- Place the red onions in the second pan, once they begin to soften add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl place the corn, kidney beans and heated rice.
- Top with the tomato and red onion mix.
- Give the chicken a generous squeeze of lime juice before adding it to the bowl.
- Top with spring onions, cheese and finally a dollop of yoghurt.
- 1 free range chicken breast, chopped
- 100g chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 red onion, finely chopped
- 100g corn
- 1/3 cup ready to eat white rice
- 1 tbsp spring onion
- Tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, rinsed
- Handful light, shredded cheese
- 2/3 cup thick, unsweetened yoghurt (we like Chobani)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Half a lime
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
For the dressing
To make the marinade combine 1/3 cup thick yoghurt with tomato paste, chilli flakes, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well. Place the diced chicken into the marinade in a zip lock bag and place into the fridge for 60 minutes. Alternatively, make the marinade the night before and leave the chicken to soak in the mixture all day for a more intense flavour hit.