Savoury muffins with pumpkin and feta
Blueberry, raspberry, coconut, choc-chip, banana… You’d be hard pressed to find a muffin we didn’t like. So when Nutritionist, Steph Wearne told us about her savoury muffins with spinach, pumpkin and feta we were keen. After all, who doesn’t love a delicious flavour combo in muffin form?
These savoury muffins are a great idea for work lunches. Prep a batch on a Sunday afternoon and you’ll be set all week long.
The muffins also freeze well. Keep some frozen and whip one out when you’re stuck for meal ideas (or just feeling a little peckish).
Put together a vibrant green salad with kale, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and a little olive oil and you’ve got yourself a seriously nutrient-dense meal for dinner or cut one in half and spread a little bit of organic butter on there for a yummy snack.
How to make them:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and then add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Next, add the spinach, pumpkin and feta and stir until everything is just combined.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C and spoon the mixture into muffin holes (the mixture will go quite thick so you may need to press it into the holes).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out dry. Cool in the tray for 10minutes and then remove to cool completely on a wire rack before devouring.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rosemary roasted pumpkin cubes
- 3/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup milk