Protein-packed coconut pavlova
This protein-packed dessert will have all your gym buddies lining up for a lunch date at your place this Christmas. We love this modern twist on the iconic classic, and we think you will too. We gift to you, the Coconut Pavlova Wreath.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp McKenzie’s Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup McKenzie’s Moist Flakes Coconut
- 125g fresh raspberries
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup caster sugar, extra
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream, whipped
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- ½ cup pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup McKenzie’s Shredded/Moist Coconut, extra
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper and trace a circle using a 22cm baking tin then turn the baking paper so that the pencil faces down.
- In a bowl beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the sugar a few tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff and glossy. Gently fold through the coconut using a metal spoon.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue mixture onto the marked baking paper to form a wreath. Repeat with a second layer of meringue over the first layer. Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave to cool completely with the oven door slightly ajar.
- To make the coulis, blend the fresh raspberries, lemon juice and sugar with a stick blender until smooth.
- Whip thickened cream until stiff.
- To assemble, pipe or dollop the cream onto the pavlova. Drizzle over coulis and scatter with pomegranate seeds, chopped pistachios and coconut.