Banana and walnut protein french toast
Not much makes us happier than when our favourite, slightly naughty foods are given a healthy make over. This french toast has a whole lot less fat than the usual cafe fair and packs a protein punch, making it the perfect post-workout brunch choice. Plus, it tastes just like the real thing. All you need is a hot fry pan and an oven.
Missing the ice cream that usually goes on top of your french toast? Top this recipe with thick, greek yoghurt as a lush, healthy substitute.
How to make it:
- Heat a fry pan to mid heat and grease with coconut oil. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg, egg whites, almond milk, protein powder and vanilla essence.
- Make sure the protein powder has completely dissolved before soaking the bread in the mixture.
- Place the soaked bread on a plate and pour over any remaining mixture.
- Cook each piece of the bread on the fry pan. Flip them after a minute or so (or until golden brown).
- Place them into the oven to crisp up for 3-4 minutes.
- Top with banana, walnuts, honey and optional yoghurt and serve immediately.
- 4 slices of thick, wholemeal bread (we like brioche)
- 1 whole egg
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 whole bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Honey, to serve