Mushroom and ancient grain salad
There is so much goodness in this dish – packed to the brim with superfoods and tasty titbits, this salad by Aussie Mushrooms is one to pop on your weekly meal rotation. The best part? It highlights the humble mushroom – which has scientifically been proven to suppress growth of breast cancer, protect body cells from damage that might lead to chronic diseases and help to strengthen the immune system.
- 1 packet superblend (fibre) – freekeh, green and yellow lentils and beans
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 punnets Swiss Brown Mushrooms, cleaned, quartered
- 2 lemons, zest finely grated, juiced
- 1 red onion, halved very finely shaved
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped, including the stems
- 80g pine nuts, toasted
- 200g feta, optional
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Cook the grain blend according to packet instruction, then drain, set aside and cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes or until golden and cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the lemon zest and juice with the onion in a large bowl. Add the remaining oil, cooled grain blend, mushrooms, coriander and pine nuts and toss to combine. Season well with salt and pepper. If using, top with the feta to serve.