Cheese and mushrooms is a match made in heaven and Emily George’s recipe packs a flavour punch without the added salt. These decadently cheesy mushrooms are one of her faves and make for a delicious dinner for one or a great side dish for a piece of chicken or steak.
How to make them:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. Prepare the mushrooms by trimming the stalk, making the area inside flat and easy to fill.
3. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, pine nuts, garlic, 2 teaspoons of olive oil, mozzarella and the ground cilantro. Mix well.
4. Spoon the mixture equally into the mushrooms.
5. Place them into a small baking tray and cover with foil.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and take off the foil. Drizzle the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the top of the mushrooms, and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes, uncovered.
8. Remove and serve while still hot.
Emily George was diagnosed with crippling Meniere’s disease, which affects balance and hearing. The doctors advised her that if she cut out salt, she would be able to live better. So Emily had to chance her lifestyle radically in order to endure its potentially crippling effects. Emily discovered the benefits of low sodium recipes and so developed her own recipe collection. This, The No Salt Cookbook was born. Get yourself a copy of Emily’s, The No Salt Cookbook (RRP $35.00) from all good book stores.
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 5 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 40 g mozzarella, grated
- 1?2 tsp ground coriander