Move over hot chocolate this smoothie will keep you warm
Don’t get us wrong, we love a hot chocolate on a cold day but this nutrient-packed alternative might be our new fave. Packed with spices, good fats, whole grains and a lot less sugar than the humble hot chocolate, a warm smoothie is a healthier treat. It’ll keep you fuller for longer, it’s a great post-workout energy booster and we all know that chocolate consumption is the equivalent of a hug to the soul. Plus, it’s super simple to make.
If you’re dubious about the warm smoothie idea, please, give this one a chance. It’s just like a thick hot chocolate but with a little more added goodness. Would we steer you wrong? No, no we would not.
How to make it:
- Place the almond milk, banana, oats, almond butter and stevia into a food processor or blender.
- Heat a small saucepan to a low heat and add the almond milk mixture.
- Once warm, add the cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cacao and stir intermittently for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick before pouring into a large mug or glass.
- Top with shaved dark chocolate and enjoy.
In a hurry? This warm drink is the perfect alternative to a morning coffee. If you’re racing out the door, skip the stove top and simply swap one cup of almond milk for a cup of boiling water instead.
- 2 cups almond milk or rice milk
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 2 tbsp stevia
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tsp almond butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp shaved dark chocolate