Healthy lemon curd tarts
If you’ve got a sweet tooth but don’t want to derail your diet, then this healthy treat will be right up your alley! A crisp chia pastry paired with a tangy lemon curd makes for the ultimate arvo snack. Oh and did we mention it’s gluten, dairy AND refined-sugar free? Winning.
1 ½ cups almond meal
¼ cup buckwheat flour
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla bean powder
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp cold water
2 egg yolks
½ cup fresh lemon juice
3 ½ tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
3 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees. Grease 10 holes of a muffin tray with coconut oil.
- Place all of the base ingredients into a mixing bowl until the mixture comes together in a ball. Add a dash of water if the mixture looks too dry.
- Press the tart mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly golden and crisp. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon curd. Place a small saucepan over low heat. Pour in the lemon juice, zest, eggs, yolks and maple, whisking until combined.
- Gradually whisk in the coconut oil, 1 tbsp. at a time until it is completely melted.
- Turn the heat to medium, continuing to whisk. The mixture should gradually become thicker and thicker until a curd consistency. Allow to cool, slightly.
- Pour the mixture into the tart shells and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until set.
This is a recipe by Sophie Fisher from Coconut and Bliss. Check out more of her healthy recipes here.