Healthy crepes with honeyed ricotta
With Mother’s Day just around the corner these crepes are the perfect breakfast treat to show your appreciation. While traditional crepes are rich with butter, flour and sugar, this recipe has a whole lot less fat, heaps more protein and half the flour for a lighter, just-as-delicious breakfast.
How to make them:
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites together using a whisk and add the almond milk.
- Pour the beaten liquids into the hole in the center of the flour mixture.
- Mix together with the whisk but don’t over-mix, you can ignore any small lumps.
- Put the batter into the fridge to rest for half an hour.
- While the batter is cooling, place the ricotta in a small bowl, mix through the honey and set aside.
- Preheat a pan to medium heat and grease with coconut oil.
- Spoon batter into the pan and let it spread until it thinly covers the entire pan.
- Let the batter cook until golden before flipping. You’ll notice small bubbles forming in the batter when it’s time to flip.
- Once the crepes are cooked, place a generous dollop of ricotta in the middle of each and top with banana.
- Fold or roll them up and drizzle a little extra honey to serve.
- 300ml of egg whites
- 1/4 cup buckwheat or wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup stevia or natvia
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup light ricotta
- 3 heaped tbsp honey
- 1 large banana, chopped thinly