Girl on the Go: The Rules of Fight Club
Everywhere you looked in the media this week, the proverbial gloves were off and the most public Australian catfight was going down. It was full-tilt jungle madness – and Lindsay Lohan wasn’t even involved.
I may be a bit younger, I may be a bit naive, I may be a bit inexperienced, but I thought the rule is you DO NOT talk about fight club? Seriously though – if this whole argument centres on feminism and women fighting for the right to be supported and taken seriously as professionals, it’s not exactly exemplary behaviour when these women are the ones tearing each other down.
I read an article the other day about jealousy being hormonal and that, depending on the time in your cycle, you may be more prone to a little visit from the green-eyed monster. Like it should be expected that, at certain times, women can’t just be happy for one another – or even play nicely.
Why can’t everyone just treat people the way they want to be treated – regardless of monthly timing? All this fighting has me wishing I could bake a cake made out of rainbows and smiles, and we’d all eat it and be happy…
Maybe if these two put on the literal gloves, and took out their hurt and anger on a training session, the world would be a much happier place. Seriously, I’m more than happy to offer FREE PT sessions, ladies. Sam, Virginia, I promise you’ll feel much better after a hit out (with me – not with each other)… and then maybe our networks can go back to reporting on worthy news.
Speaking of news: Spartan training amped up even more this week. We lifted heavier, we boxed for longer, we sprinted faster, and I made it through practically every training session unscathed! **CUE FIREWORKS**
Spartan is next weekend – as in NEXT weekend. As in, EIGHT SLEEPS! I’m suddenly very aware of my tiny T-rex hands and their inability to grip a bar properly, let alone lift my body weight along. Some team member I am.
We’re also so close to reaching our fundraising goal of $1,000 for Alzheimer’s Australia! Please help us to fight this degenerative disease and donate to our cause. You’ll not only help make a difference to families all over the country, but you’ll also feel amazing for it!
To team with the Fight Club theme, this week I’ve put together a session that will help to sculpt your arms, core and legs, as well as unleash any residual anger from the week. Enjoy!
Girl on the Go x
Warm-up – 3 mins – Skipping
Use a real skipping rope if you have one handy, otherwise, just imagine you’re holding one!
- 1 min x jump with both feet
- 1 min x jump with alternating feet
- 1 min x double unders
Workout session – 20 mins
Circuit 1 – Jab, Jab, Hook, Cross
- Stand with your left foot forward, arms in ‘guard’ position (elbows bent, hands in fists on either side of your chin).
- Throw two right jabs (quickly punch your right arm forward, rotating your fist down, without locking out your elbow each time).
- Throw a left hook (keeping your elbow bent at 90 degrees and pivoting your left heel up as you rotate your left hip forward, swing your left arm out and then bring it in to punch the side of your non-existent opponent).
- Throw a right cross (punch your right arm forward, rotating your right hip into the punch and lifting your right heel off the ground).
- Bring arms back to guard, quickly duck your body and lower it into a squat, and return to starting position.
And that is one rep.
Do 12 reps as quickly as you can (in a row), and then switch your stance and complete 12 reps on the other side.
- 12 x push-ups
- 12 x squat jumps
- 12 x burpees
- 12 x crunches