It tastes like pizza. It looks and smells like pizza. But healthy cook Nadia Felsch has created these pizzettas to look like our favourite Italian treat without the extra fat and exorbitant kilojoule content.
They’re smothered in delicious tomato sauce, topped with cheese and the base, well let’s just say when you roast eggplant it softens in all right places.
Mix it up with your toppings (ham, mushroom and spinach is one of our faves) or take Felsch’s advice and sprinkle on some red onion, cannellini beans and fresh parsley. Just make sure you don’t overdo it with the toppings– you don’t want your pizzetta to collapse.
How to make them:
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (electric)
- Wash eggplant and cut into rounds
- Place on a baking tray
- Coat with oil and salt
- Once oven is to temperature, bake eggplant for 15 minutes
- Whilst baking, finely slice onion and chop parsley
- Drain beans and grate cheese
- Once baked, remove eggplant and spread tomato paste on all rounds
- Add thyme, onion, parsley, beans and cheese
- Bake for a further 5-8mins until cheese is melted
- Serve with freshly dressed leaves
Did you know that Nadia has just launched her much-anticipated Wholefood Society? With meal plans, exclusive recipes, videos, practical tools, guides and support. She’s done the planning so you don’t have to. Hello healthy eating made simple. Check it out here.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Crack of salt
- 1 tablespoon red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 5 tablespoons cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons quality tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon dried or fresh thyme