Cauliflower mac ‘n’ cheese
National pasta day is a thing. Yep, that’s as good as it sounds. Permission to carb-load? Granted. But, with the ink of our New Year’s resolutions still wet on the page, we decided to put a twist on an old favourite to bring you a healthified recipe that keeps your fit goals in mind. It’s that good you probably couldn’t tell the difference between a bowl of this and a bowl of your Grandma’s signature mac and cheese—okay, that’s a lie, but it’s really, really good. We promise.
- 3 cups of your fave gluten free macaroni
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard power
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add in the chopped cauliflower. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until softened. Drain, and add to a food processor or high speed blender.
- Add in the oil, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Process or blend until smooth.
- Add cheese sauce to your pot full of drained pasta and mix well.
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of salt and dig in!