Tired of the same boring, breaky of cereal and milk? Mexico is calling! Breakfast burritos are a delicious protein hit and full of vibrant flavours. Cheesey eggs, creamy avocado and a little hit of spice – we could eat these everyday.
A burrito (or two) is the perfect weekend breaky at home or alternatively, just wrap one up and take it to work. If you’re going to eat them on the go, take the salsa in a separate container and pour it on when you’re ready to eat to avoid a sad and soggy burrito.
Don’t like it too spicy? Remove the chilli flakes from the recipe.
How to make ’em:
- Heat a fry pan to low-medium heat and place coconut oil in there.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites and milk until well combined then add turmeric, chilli and cumin and mix through.
- Throw your onions into the pan and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, capsicum and cherry tomatoes to the pan and keep it moving until the tomatoes begin to brown a little.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and mix frequently to ensure the eggs cook to a fluffy, creamy consistency.
- Once cooked turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- Lay out your wraps and spoon on the eggs.
- Top with avocado, cheese and salsa.
- Wrap up and enjoy!
Want an extra protein hit? Add a slice or two of smoked salmon or fresh leg ham to your breakfast burritos.
- 4 free range whole eggs
- 4 free range egg whites
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- Half red and green capsicum, diced
- Half medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat reduced cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 wraps Try Mountain bread wraps or Helga's new low carb range
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup organic salsa
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste