Brave the cold with Keep it Cleaner winter recipes
In the relentless pursuit of meal inspiration we asked Steph Claire Smith and Laura Henshaw founders of www.kicgirls.com.au to share their fave winter recipes from their KIC meal planner. Bon appetit!
There’s a lot about this time of year that makes us miss summer. Cold mornings, frizzy hair (damn rain!), the lack of beach in our lives, but if there’s one thing to look forward to (other than snuggling up under a doona with a good book) it’s all the scrumptious winter warmers from our KIC meal plan that we get to whip up in the kitchen!
Steaming hot porridge made for those chilly Sunday mornings, tummy warming soups that would feel totally wrong if not sipped next to a fireplace, and hearty roasts for family feeds and dinner parties with friends. Some things just taste better when it’s wet out.
If you’re after something to look forward to this winter, look no further. Here’s our list of deliciousness that’s healthy, easy and budget friendly.
Apple Pie Porridge
SERVES 1 PREP 5 MIN COOK 10 MIN
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (or quinoa flakes if gluten-free) 2 medjool dates, pitted & roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, (3⁄4 diced, 1⁄4 thinly sliced)
- 10g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs Greek yoghurt
Combine milk, oats, dates, spices and diced apple in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 8 minutes until thickened and the apples are just tender.
Stir through walnuts and top with yoghurt and sliced apple to serve.
Broccoli & Kale Frittata
SERVES 2 PREP 10 MIN COOK 30 MIN
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets 6 eggs
- 40g parmesan cheese, finely grated 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch cavolo nero (Tuscan kale), trimmed & roughly chopped Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes to garnish
- Crusty baguette, toasted, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180oC.
Cook the broccoli in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Whisk the eggs with the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a 20cm oven-proof frypan over medium heat and cook the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the kale and toss for 2 minutes until just wilted. Add the broccoli and pour over the egg mixture and stir gently to combine. Cook for 3 minutes without stirring then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and puffy.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle over chilli flakes and serve with a crusty baguette.
Yummy Popcorn Slice
MAKES 8 PREP 5 MIN COOK 20 MIN
- 1/4 cup (55g) popcorn kernels
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup (70g) shredded coconut 60g dried apricots, diced
- 75g almonds, roughly chopped 1/4 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 150°C and line a slice tray with baking paper.
Place the popcorn in a brown paper bag and fold down the end to seal. Microwave on high for 90 seconds – 2 minutes until popped. Transfer to a bowl and discard any un-popped kernels.
Place the coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat.
Add the coconut, apricots, almonds and salt to the popcorn. Pour over the warm syrup mixture and mix well to combine.
Spread the mixture into your tray, place a piece of baking paper over the top and press down firmly with your hands to compact. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Allow slice to cool completely in the tin then lift onto to a board and cut into 9 even pieces. Serve 1 as snack and store remaining pieces in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
Thai Coconut Fish Tray Bake
SERVES 2 PREP 20 MIN COOK 25 MIN
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 500g sweet potato, peeled & cut into 1cm slices Salt, to taste
- 125ml coconut milk
- 2 tbs green curry paste
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 x 150g white fish fillets
- 1 bunch bok choy, cut into quarters lengthwise 2 limes, halved
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 1 long green chilli, thinly sliced diagonally
Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the coconut oil in the tray and transfer to the oven for 1 minute to melt.
Carefully place the sweet potato in the bottom of the tray and toss to coat in coconut oil. Season with salt, to taste, and bake for 10 minutes.
Whisk together the coconut milk, curry paste and honey in a bowl, add fish and toss to coat. Place the fish and bok choy over the sweet potato and drizzle over remaining coconut milk mixture. Add the limes, cut side up and season fish with salt. Return to oven and bake for a further 15 minutes until the fish is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
Serve topped with fresh coriander and green chilli.
Quick Chicken Roast
SERVES 2 PREP 15 MIN COOK 40 MIN
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 2 chicken thighs
- 400g sweet potato, cut into rough 2.5cm dice 1/2 red capsicum, cut into rough 2.5cm dice
- 1 bunch baby carrots (200g), washed & trimmed 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Zest 1 teaspoon of lemon then combine with the olive oil and thyme in a bowl; add chicken, sweet potato, capsicum, carrots, garlic and toss to combine. Layer the vegetables in the baking tray and place the chicken thighs over the top, skin-side up.
Thinly slice the lemon and layer over the top of the vegetables. Season everything with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to oven. Cook for 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is golden and cooked.
SERVES 4 COOK 1HR PREP 15 MIN
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, cut pieces
- 1 carrot, chopped pieces
- 2 celery stick, cut pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut pieces
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tin four bean mix, drained & washed
- 1 cup miniature pasta like ditalini (or substitute arborio rice if you can’t find) Small bunch fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini and garlic, stirring fo 5-10 minutes.
Stir in the tomato and stock. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
Add beans and pasta. Simmer for another 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Top with basil and parmesan cheese, season salt and pepper to taste.