Black bean and coconut mango rice bowls
Alissa Saenz, author of the blog, Connoiseurus Veg (otherwise know as Vegan Heaven) is a whiz in the kitchen. With flavour combinations that have us salivating (sans animal products), she holds the answer to life’s most difficult question, “What should I have for dinner?” This black bean, mango and coconut rice bowl is tropical, light and packed full of flavour. It’s an absolute WF fav for the hotter months.
Rich coconut milk infused rice is topped with a blend of back beans and mango in these sweet, savory and spicy tropical-inspired coconut rice bowls. If you’re feeling more carnivorous, add a chicken breast on top.
- Prepare coconut rice according to recipe directions.
- While coconut rice cooks, coat a medium skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red bell pepper and jalapeño. Sauté until onion and pepper are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mango, beans, lime juice, agave, cumin salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until mangoes are tender and mixture is thick and slightly syrupy, about 2 minutes.
- Divide rice into bowls and top with mango and bean mixture. Sprinkle with spring onions and hot sauce (if using).
- 2 cups coconut rice or Tilda coconut rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 ripe mangoes, cubed
- 1 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Sriracha, to serve