5 ways you can dodge the effects of Mercury Retrograde
Mercury retrograde is back. Greattttttt.
As of August 30 till September 22, we’re probs going to blame every little thing that goes wrong on this astronomical phenomena – like smashing your iPhone screen, losing your wallet or missing a flight.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to hide in your bedroom for the next three weeks – we’ve got a few ways you can dodge the retrograde curse.
But before we get into that, we’ll first explain WTH Mercury Retrograde actually is.
WHAT IS IT?
“Mercury Retrograde refers to a time when the planet Mercury appears to be moving backwards from our perspective on Earth,” says WF resident kinesiologist Yolande Herring. “It doesn’t actually change direction, but is more an illusion that it is. This occurs three or four times each a year. Generally it lasts approximately 3.5 weeks, but there are shadow periods on either side of this time that can affect us also.”
“The planet Mercury is the ruler of communication, travel and transportation, schedules, formal contracts and agreements, and technology. During the retrograde phase all of these areas can be impacted.”
“In this time, communication can go haywire. Emails, text messages, travel, electronics and even decision making can all start playing up,” she continues.
However, it’s not all bad. “Mercury retrograde can also create a feeling of introspection, and during this time we’re encouraged to review our lives,” Herring says. “It’s quite possible that unexpected people from your past and connections to previous events of your life will pop up during these few weeks also.”
Here, Herring has put together five ways you can dodge the neg effects of Mercury Retrograde:
- Back up your data. “If you can avoid it, don’t purchase any appliances or electronic equipment during this time.”
- Leave signing contracts and legal documents until after the retrograde period. “Your new work contract, lease, mortgage paperwork or even marriage contracts are best left to another time. Of course, if this isn’t possible, make sure you go over all documents carefully. If, on the other hand, you want the option to review or back out of the contract at a later date, then this is the perfect time to sign.”
- Don’t jump to conclusions. “During this time you might find messages aren’t received, sent to the wrong person or misinterpreted. If someone doesn’t reply to your messages, check whether they received it before you get upset at the lack of response. Communication includes listening, so be present in your conversations and don’t take anything too personally. It’s common to misunderstand each other while Mercury is in retrograde so be gentle and clear in your communication.”
- Try to avoid travel. “Leave booking any travel until after the retrograde period is over. If you’re travelling during this time, double check departure dates and times, leave extra time for travel, and have copies of travel documents on hand just in case they’re needed.”
- Review and reflect. “Mercury Retrograde is actually a great time to give your life a once over. Because the planet appears to slow down, stop, then move backwards, we can work with this energy to slow down ourselves and take a look back at what’s been working for us. Take note if people or beliefs from your past pop up during this time. What can you learn from your past? As the planet moves forward again, you can leave behind what you no longer need and move ahead with a new outlook.”